Protecting Yourself Online
- Lightbeam aka Collusion for Chrome
- Tracks the websites you visit and who is tracking you on those sites. It visualizes all the websites and the trackers in a network diagram so you can see which trackers follow you accross multiple sites.
- EFF project that shows you the types of information avalible to web pages you visit.
- A Windows only application that lets you see web requests in flight after they leave your web browser.
- A tool that blocks trackers (not necessarily ads) from loading. The tool will also provide a list of the trackers blocked.
- Adblock Plus
- Blocks advertisements from loading. Will not block all of the ads, companies who pay a fee and only use non-annoying ads are still alowed through the filter.
- Blur by Abine
- Privacy Badger by the EFF
- Blocks advertisements and blocks trackers.
- Tor Browser Bundle
- Version of the Firefox web browser that is setup to work with Tor by default with the most privacy friendly settings.
- Google's Ad Settings
- Opting out will prevent Google from showing interest based ads but will not prevent them from collecting data about you.
- Your Online Choices
- Provides a place where you can opt-out of behavioral advertising from participating companies.
- Digital Advertising Alliance Consumer Choice Page
- Provides one place where you can control your opt-out choices for Digital Advertising Alliance particiating companies.
- The reasoning behind Web Cookies by Lou Montulli (the guy who invented web cookies)
- Behavioral Advertising: The Offer You Cannot Refuse by Chris Jay Hoofnagle, Ashkan Soltani, Nathaniel Good, Dietrich J. Wambach, and Mika D. Ayenson.
- Comments to the FTC for their Workshop on Cross Device Tracking. The report provides a nice summary of the issues around tracking. It also discusses the similarity to prior issues such as the do not call phone list.
- GAO Report: Information Resellers
- Report on the collection and sale of personal information amongst private-sector companies.
- A Rewview of the Data Broker Industry: Collection, Use, and Sale of Consumer Data for Marketing Purposes (2013)
- Report on data brokers put together for the US Senate.
- What is a Cookie Worth? by Arslan Aziz and Rahul Telang
- Research paper looking at how effective targeted advertising is. They find that using privacy intrusive information can increase ad effectiveness by over 30%.